Kmart’s new NZ store is going to be one of their biggest yet!

Kmart’s just announced one of their biggest stores yet is on its way to Auckland’s Sylvia Park.

Imagine all the time you could spend in there if you were to win one of the $500 Kmart vouchers Dom, Meg & Randell are giving away to every single caller that gets on air this Friday between 6am and 10am!?

The new store, which is set to open its doors in 2019, will be an enormous 500sq m replacing the mall’s Countdown.

Ben Smith, Kmart’s property head of the department stores division, says this will be the first store they’ve opened in Auckland in more than 10 years.

This continues our expansion in New Zealand. This financial year, we have announced four new locations across New Zealand

Baby City charged with selling faulty cots

In January, the Herald revealed Baby City had recalled up to 1000 cots because of safety concerns. Photo / iStock

A baby product company could face a fine as high as $600,000 for allegedly selling defective cots.

The Commerce Commission filed nine charges against Baby City Retail Investments Limited in Auckland District Court Monday.

It is alleged the Lower Hutt-based company sold Milano brand cots in 2014 and 2015 that “did not comply with the prescribed product safety standard for those goods”.

Court documents show the allegations related to a “3-in-1 sleigh-style” product and one called a “Phoenix”.

One sale in Christchurch in October allegedly saw the company supply a cot with a “defective dropside mechanism and a potentially hazardous snag point”, according to court documents.

The Commerce Commission said another two products sold in Auckland featured similar problems.

In January, the Herald revealed Baby City had recalled up to 1000 cots because of safety concerns.

The recall notice related to the two models of Milano cots – costing between $300 and $500 – purchased between March 2012 and October last year.

Managing director Trevor Douthett said they had decided to undertake the recall after seeing the results of some recent independent testing done on the products.

The company had received earlier test results attesting to their meeting of safety standards but the recent results raised some concerns for child safety, he said at the time.

Mr Douthett stressed Baby City had not received any customer complaints or concerns and that he was not aware of any instances of any incidents or harm arising from the issues relating to the recall.

“Some cots have a V-shaped gap between the drop side and the rail at each end that could catch,” he said.

Staff said on Tuesday that Mr Douthett was overseas at the moment.

The alleged breaches of the Fair Trading Act could cost the company up to $600,000.

Baby City will be back in court next month.